Post-Operative Complications Associated With Orthopedic Surgery
Risks components with most orthopedic operations include injury to nerves or blood vessels, blood clots, infection, joint stiffness, and failure of the surgery.
Failure of the surgery — where common injuries are a repaired ligament that may fracture again; the bones not healing together of a repaired fracture; a joint becoming arthritic; the operation failing to relieve the pain.
Infection — there is a 1-2% chance of a post-surgery infection occurring. The infection may be minor or more serious with, in the latter case, possibly requiring another operation.
Stiffness of loss of motion of the joint or of nearby joints — therefore joints have to be exercised, but, nonetheless, in some cases permanent reduction in motion is noticeable. Some experience arthrofibrosis which is intense pain response and permanent loss of motion may be a result.
Blood clots — Clots in the deep vessels of the legs that can occur post-surgery. Symptoms are swelling in the leg and pain in the calf. Blood clots are more common with procedures such as joint replacements; they are less common with arthroscopic surgery.
Injury to major nerves or blood vessels — This rarely happens. (www.ofc-oregon.com) Other common post-operative complications include post-operative fever, atelectasis, and embolism.
Mrs. Well’s risks are several.
Firstly, she is older. She is also overweight to obese which is a definite risk factor. The fact that she lives in a trailer may indicate, although not necessarily, that she has little exercise. Most importantly, the smallness of the trailer indicates plenty of conditions for the possibility of her falling, and demonstrates constraint of movement. Mrs. Wells needs plenty of room for her to move about unhindered. Her living conditions seem to indicate absence of this. She needs constant movement to reduce the possibility of re-fracturing of the limb and of blood clots forming. Nurses do transfer her from bed to chair three times a day, but nonetheless this does not constitute exercise, and the fact that she is staying in bed so much does not bode well, as is the fact that she is experiencing a burning discomfort over her tailbone. This may lead to an infection occurring. In fact, she may already have one since her skin on the sacrum is red and this redness does not depart even 290 minutes after being off her back. Moreover, incidence of post-operative complications spike 1-3 days after the operation and this is the 3rd day after Mrs. Well’s operation.
Her urine output, too, is small and, although frequent, this is not a good sign. On the other hand, her diet seems to be constant and good. She has no fever, nausea, vomiting, or confusion, nor bowel obstruction. In short, symptoms are mixed regarding Mrs. Well’s risk factors.
The symptoms that I would focus on are the following:
1. Obesity — since this prevents her from moving around and exercising her limb as well as keeping her more stationary and more reluctant to exercise.
2. The fact that she has been kept almost totally stationery for 3 days following surgery, when she should have been exercising her limb
3. The small urine output that may signal post-operation infection.
4. Her living quarters — in a trailer that provide plenty of opportunity for falling and re-fracturing of limb.
5. Her age which again places her at greater risk for falling.
6. Mrs. Well’s desire to return to her housework. “Only very light work should be performed post-surgery of the hip with no bending, twisting, or crossing the legs at the hip joint, or at the ankles”(Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham). Similarly, Mrs. Wells lives in a rural area- she should avoid gardening. Only light housework should be engaged in.
7. Mrs. Wells needs someone to help her do routine tasks such as bathing and dressing. She only has a son who lives with her, and she is poor. This may indicate that she may not receive the necessary care (Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham: online
An Individualized teaching plan for Ms. Wells
I would explain the physiology of the hip joint and the performance of the surgery so that Ms. Wells understand the physiology of her injury and why she needs to take care of the spot so that re-fracturing not occur. I will also tell Ms. Wells that the 3 months following surgery is the period when the joint is weaker and can become dislocated more easily therefore special care needs to be taken.
1. Only very light work with no bending, twisting, or crossing the legs at the hip joint, or at the ankles”(* Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham). Movements should not be forced at hip. She should not sit on low seats. She should avoid standing for long periods of time, and then stand with her feet slightly apart. She should not garden.
2. She should not cross legs or ankles when sitting. Other instructions about sitting (and demonstration) will be given her.
3. Demonstration of how to sleep (not to cross leg with pillow between legs) will be given her.
4. Occupational therapist will show her how to use the toilet. Whilst bathing should be avoided for at least 3 months following surgery.
5. Therapist will show her how to dress (essentially she has to dress operated leg first and undress it last, and should never bend down more than 90 degrees to touch below either knee.
6. Instructions on how to get in and out of car will be given to her. Her knee must be kept straight at all times.
Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham. Information for patients about precautions following Hemiarthroplasty surgery http://www.ihb.nhs.ik/pdf/Pifollowing Hemiarthroplasty.pdf www.ofc-oregon.com Complications of orthopedic surgery http://www.ofcoregon.com/assets_ofc/COMPLICATIONS_OF_ORTHOPEDIC_SURGERY.pdf
Get Professional Assignment Help Cheaply
Are you busy and do not have time to handle your assignment? Are you scared that your paper will not make the grade? Do you have responsibilities that may hinder you from turning in your assignment on time? Are you tired and can barely handle your assignment? Are your grades inconsistent?
Whichever your reason is, it is valid! You can get professional academic help from our service at affordable rates. We have a team of professional academic writers who can handle all your assignments.
Why Choose Our Academic Writing Service?
- Plagiarism free papers
- Timely delivery
- Any deadline
- Skilled, Experienced Native English Writers
- Subject-relevant academic writer
- Adherence to paper instructions
- Ability to tackle bulk assignments
- Reasonable prices
- 24/7 Customer Support
- Get superb grades consistently
Online Academic Help With Different Subjects
Students barely have time to read. We got you! Have your literature essay or book review written without having the hassle of reading the book. You can get your literature paper custom-written for you by our literature specialists.
Do you struggle with finance? No need to torture yourself if finance is not your cup of tea. You can order your finance paper from our academic writing service and get 100% original work from competent finance experts.
While psychology may be an interesting subject, you may lack sufficient time to handle your assignments. Don’t despair; by using our academic writing service, you can be assured of perfect grades. Moreover, your grades will be consistent.
Engineering is quite a demanding subject. Students face a lot of pressure and barely have enough time to do what they love to do. Our academic writing service got you covered! Our engineering specialists follow the paper instructions and ensure timely delivery of the paper.
In the nursing course, you may have difficulties with literature reviews, annotated bibliographies, critical essays, and other assignments. Our nursing assignment writers will offer you professional nursing paper help at low prices.
Truth be told, sociology papers can be quite exhausting. Our academic writing service relieves you of fatigue, pressure, and stress. You can relax and have peace of mind as our academic writers handle your sociology assignment.
We take pride in having some of the best business writers in the industry. Our business writers have a lot of experience in the field. They are reliable, and you can be assured of a high-grade paper. They are able to handle business papers of any subject, length, deadline, and difficulty!
We boast of having some of the most experienced statistics experts in the industry. Our statistics experts have diverse skills, expertise, and knowledge to handle any kind of assignment. They have access to all kinds of software to get your assignment done.
Writing a law essay may prove to be an insurmountable obstacle, especially when you need to know the peculiarities of the legislative framework. Take advantage of our top-notch law specialists and get superb grades and 100% satisfaction.
What discipline/subjects do you deal in?
We have highlighted some of the most popular subjects we handle above. Those are just a tip of the iceberg. We deal in all academic disciplines since our writers are as diverse. They have been drawn from across all disciplines, and orders are assigned to those writers believed to be the best in the field. In a nutshell, there is no task we cannot handle; all you need to do is place your order with us. As long as your instructions are clear, just trust we shall deliver irrespective of the discipline.
Are your writers competent enough to handle my paper?
Our essay writers are graduates with bachelor's, masters, Ph.D., and doctorate degrees in various subjects. The minimum requirement to be an essay writer with our essay writing service is to have a college degree. All our academic writers have a minimum of two years of academic writing. We have a stringent recruitment process to ensure that we get only the most competent essay writers in the industry. We also ensure that the writers are handsomely compensated for their value. The majority of our writers are native English speakers. As such, the fluency of language and grammar is impeccable.
What if I don’t like the paper?
There is a very low likelihood that you won’t like the paper.
- When assigning your order, we match the paper’s discipline with the writer’s field/specialization. Since all our writers are graduates, we match the paper’s subject with the field the writer studied. For instance, if it’s a nursing paper, only a nursing graduate and writer will handle it. Furthermore, all our writers have academic writing experience and top-notch research skills.
- We have a quality assurance that reviews the paper before it gets to you. As such, we ensure that you get a paper that meets the required standard and will most definitely make the grade.
In the event that you don’t like your paper:
- The writer will revise the paper up to your pleasing. You have unlimited revisions. You simply need to highlight what specifically you don’t like about the paper, and the writer will make the amendments. The paper will be revised until you are satisfied. Revisions are free of charge
- We will have a different writer write the paper from scratch.
- Last resort, if the above does not work, we will refund your money.
Will the professor find out I didn’t write the paper myself?
Not at all. All papers are written from scratch. There is no way your tutor or instructor will realize that you did not write the paper yourself. In fact, we recommend using our assignment help services for consistent results.
What if the paper is plagiarized?
We check all papers for plagiarism before we submit them. We use powerful plagiarism checking software such as SafeAssign, LopesWrite, and Turnitin. We also upload the plagiarism report so that you can review it. We understand that plagiarism is academic suicide. We would not take the risk of submitting plagiarized work and jeopardize your academic journey. Furthermore, we do not sell or use prewritten papers, and each paper is written from scratch.
When will I get my paper?
You determine when you get the paper by setting the deadline when placing the order. All papers are delivered within the deadline. We are well aware that we operate in a time-sensitive industry. As such, we have laid out strategies to ensure that the client receives the paper on time and they never miss the deadline. We understand that papers that are submitted late have some points deducted. We do not want you to miss any points due to late submission. We work on beating deadlines by huge margins in order to ensure that you have ample time to review the paper before you submit it.
Will anyone find out that I used your services?
We have a privacy and confidentiality policy that guides our work. We NEVER share any customer information with third parties. Noone will ever know that you used our assignment help services. It’s only between you and us. We are bound by our policies to protect the customer’s identity and information. All your information, such as your names, phone number, email, order information, and so on, are protected. We have robust security systems that ensure that your data is protected. Hacking our systems is close to impossible, and it has never happened.
How our Assignment Help Service Works
1. Place an order
You fill all the paper instructions in the order form. Make sure you include all the helpful materials so that our academic writers can deliver the perfect paper. It will also help to eliminate unnecessary revisions.
2. Pay for the order
Proceed to pay for the paper so that it can be assigned to one of our expert academic writers. The paper subject is matched with the writer’s area of specialization.
3. Track the progress
You communicate with the writer and know about the progress of the paper. The client can ask the writer for drafts of the paper. The client can upload extra material and include additional instructions from the lecturer. Receive a paper.
4. Download the paper
The paper is sent to your email and uploaded to your personal account. You also get a plagiarism report attached to your paper.
PLACE THIS ORDER OR A SIMILAR ORDER WITH US TODAY AND GET A PERFECT SCORE!!!